Future Makers Global Call #4: Reviewing the first 6 case studies

The first and most important milestone for Future Makers is for engageement managers to produce 10 high quality case studies for each country by June 30.

In this week’s call we will go through the first 36 interviews posted in the Future Makers Case Studies Adventures group by the engagement managers (see this task)

Please prepare by posting the documentation from 6 interviews each (use the interview framework)  in the Future Makers Case Study Adventures Group.

Call available here: Stream Future Makers Global Call #4 by Edgeryders | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Date: 2015-06-20 08:00:00 - 2015-06-20 08:00:00, Europe/Brussels Time.

Read and comment material in Case Studies Adventures group today

hi @Driss, @Inge, @Iriedawta, @Hegazy, @SamarAli, @Mikhail_Volchak, @nataliegryvnyak, @trythis, @Hazem.

Ahead of tomorrow’s call (please click on blue button so others know you are participating and can contact you easily after) please go through the comments on your submitted material, and leave comments on one another’s material: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-case-studies-adventures

This way we have a common foundation to discuss how to produce effective case studies, and how to coach participants in the crowdsourcing campaign to do the same when they Shine a light on a future maker :)

Dang, I won’t be attending

If someone records it I’ll put some comments afterwards. I think it may not even hurt if I shut up during a call or two :wink:

2 Likes

I’m in!

Hi all, looking forward to catching up tomorrow… I have been traveling these last few weeks and I’m trying to catch up on my reading. So an overview from everyone about what you guys have been up to and who you are reaching out will help a lot. As well as letting the rest of us know how we can help and who should we not miss out on - where people’s projects could benefit from connecting with their counterparts in other countries.

1 Like

Getting stories from the fringe (in the center)

Before I forget, here is an example of a difficult to get story:

You don’t have to listen to all the 100 minutes, but I could imagine some the other people in the urban initiatives may like this as well.

20th of June weekly call notes

So, some of the notes from the today’s phone call: 1. first it’s case discussions.

Inge - have done transcripts of urban artist. have posted raw material interviews.

There is a need to include visuals, some methodology and reasons/expressions of uniqueness of this project.

Hegazy: Have talked with the greek campus. Done an extensive descriptive interview with research in between.

Anna: photo project done for women in outside of Erevan regions, which is rare.

Natalie: done interviews and posted 3 interviews so far on the platform: Your voice initiative (to spread political will of youngsters), Forum Theater (performance tool to solve crisis/problems), Your Park (united project for the war torn town to rebuild the community park and to create it as free economic zone).

Sammer: had 2 interviews with recycling social enterprises, that do workshops on recycling, urban hacking. There is a need to check urban hacking theme throughout countries, since it’s a new trend.

The way to built cases:

Hegazy: 1. play as a journalist. 2. research other cases. not to write marketing things but author’s impression. A good proposal done by Nadia, what to show similar projects and ask to compare.

Case should be dynamic, with investigation done.

We are choosing cases on the matter of social inclusion, data. people on the edge, uniqueness, new approaches

Initiative should be autonomous, away from grant money and in future or now self-sustained. You need to ask yourself a question: why it matters, what’s the reason to choose this for the case study. also remember that we are building the network of people to work further, thus the interest should be on both ends.

It’s a first call for initiatives to be used preliminary to crowdsourcing of other cases for the project. Out of them - book will be combined, and new trends/projects would be introduced to UN. And the site will be created to showcase them. There are two groups for this project: Future Makers Global (for administration of the project and anyone who wants to built it) and Case Study Group (for the interviews, formation of great cases etc)

what is needed to do: Sammar - info into english on notes/cases. We can follow Hegazy approach. By Wednesday ideally, we need to share new round of interviews

I’ll upload tomorrow if no one objects by then

I’ll probably have to remove the old record we had up because of the minute limit. It won’t kill us, and we can always go pro later. I should be able to keep the local copy in any case.

I did not catch the beginning so if people could the most important bits on that again it won’t hurt.

1 Like

Call on soundcloud

I’ll leave it up unless someone asks me to take it down.

You can link comments to a specific time like this: Stream Future Makers Global Call #4 by Edgeryders | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

0 to finished draft in 2 days

In Stream Future Makers Global Call #4 by Edgeryders | Listen online for free on SoundCloud hegazy explains how he went from the raw materials to his finished draft case study.

Perhaps it would be interesting for some people to see how the different revisions look, and perhaps why some of the bigger changes were made (what was balanced against what). This can sometimes be difficult to understand seeing the finished product only.

So perhaps just an encouragement to switch to “keep changes” in your word processor and do a final “save as” with the clean version - but keep the different steps along the way just. Things like these can sometimes we really useful for beginners because it allows you to “look into the experts thought process” in much more detail.

One could also do a tiny audio statement going over why which change was made for example.

I am not saying this should be done for each (or: at all) but I just want to out this out for consideration, as it would not increase the workload terribly - and perhaps help new people get the drift faster (always imprtant).

1 Like

Some more notes

I think this is an important part: if you have another related but different example you can compare to a known quantity. That usually allows stressing fine but important differences much better. And it allows people who are not familiar with the topic to understand it better because you have an extra example.

With regard to getting the first steps (and maybe even failed attempts) I think this is really where we can learn a lot about the nuts and bolts. When did they first think of something like their initiative? When did they commit and start to act? What needed to happen before? If they had started 5 years earlier or later, how would that have gone perhaps? What was the influence of their environment? Did they ever come close to quitting again? Why?

@nataliegryvnyak

re platform feedback: I would say try to record this in any way that is not too much trouble. It is not so important that it is nicely structured - but it would be really cool to know how one could improve the usability of the platform for different use cases. Perhaps they can also note some less obvious wishes/idea they may have after a couple of days. But for now, like Nadia pointed out it is probably enough to focus on the relevant addresses only.

Сase studies: “Uvote” Ukraine

Hi! Let me introduce myself.

My name is Alexander Sanchenko, and I am a youth empowerment activist that is keen on providing more education and possibilities for youth in Ukraine. I have done couple of interesting projects, which I will post on the platform, but the first of which I want to tell is in the sphere of youth involvement in voting, called “Your vote”.

The reason that i have started to the project was that after the revolution of dignity, in 2014 on Maidan. I have realized that there is only one option how to make all politicians to do more for young people: to increase youth turnout, the greater the turnout for the more all politicians listen to the problems of people and youth in particular with a great effect on further decisions. In addition the goal was to fight corruption and bribery in votes, for them not to be sold Throughout “your voice” project there were 2 information campaigns - the presidential elections (motivating young people to vote and elect a candidate sensibly) and parliamentary elections: be active, vote and do not sell their votes.

The initiative was launched on April 2015 with the help of Euromaidan activists. We spread info through social tools (video, PR work in social networks, website, social survey) The main idea of the project is a youth empowerment during the election process. Presentation problem is relevant both for Ukrainian and civilizational context. Youth people actively particiapte in political and economic development. As part of the project youth people get acquainted with the basic steps of election campaig. Also the public will be shown presentation videos and be provided with additional materials. The “Your Voice” is intendede to lay the foundation of the election culture which is education and mobilization campaign created to answer the question: why should we vote, why every vote is important and how can you protect it. The project will help young people to become more familiar with the nature and technology of the election process and learn how to make critical and rational choice in political preferences and not be afraid to defend their vote. In addition it will show that their votes count, and it will motivate them for more activism.

After two campaigns we had such results:

• More than 60 video messages from famous Ukrainians that were distributed virally in social networks and broadcasted on channel 112 as social videos.

• 80 billboards in Kyiv and 12 lightboxes close to Kyiv universities, 880,000 banners in the Internet;  

•  Two constituency (where big universities were located: KNEU, KPI) had special information impact of campaign that influenced the turnout and increased it by an average of 16% compared to previous elections.

The results of the campaign for elections on Oct. 26, 2014 into the Parliament:

• Social Networks where using memes motivated young people not to sell their votes. RESULTS: 20 professional memes, coverage groups in 110 social media with an audience of more than 5 million. Unique users.

• 42 publications in media, online conference, 2 radio broadcasts, broadcasts on TV 2.

• Outdoor: 65 billboards in Kiev, Lviv, Kharkiv, Kherson, Vinnytsia, Poltava, Sumy.

The platform is interesting since it is an exchange of experience, the story to tell and tool to learn something more.

Links: http://uvote.org.ua/  Твій Голос - Інформаційна кампанія