MoN 6 - Masters of Networks

See the excellent and energetic introduction for the opencare MoN4 – it is still relevant (and this one builds on it)

When and where

June 27th, 9am - 4pm at LaBRI, Université de Bordeaux. More details on logistics here.

Why

To pursue our effort to understand how care networks innovate. This MoN6 edition builds on past editions and more particularly on MoN4 and MoN 5 whose output is documented here.

What

We’ll be looking again at the two sides of collective intelligence: semantics and interactions.

How

We’ll be looking at data taken from the edgeryders.eu portal and gathering online exchanges around “open” care. We also plan to look at different data collected from social medias.

Who else should come

Anyone interested in doing (even learning) network analytics, on our or other (open care related) data. There’ll be a group of people from our research project, and others.

Agenda and challenges

We plan to run two tracks:

• Identifying the specifics of the opencare online conversation -- as opposed to actions taken by individuals on a social media platform, where what people have in common is that they happened to be posting on platform during a certain period of time with no real social interaction.
  • Playing with text content of messages versus ethnographic tags: what can we learn?

MoN is also an occasion for us to test and improve tech solutions we already have in our hands.

Tentative schedule

To be announced, but in two words:

• am - brainstorm first, questions emerge, crunch data, see what can be done
  • am/pm - just do it, iterate and refine with experts commenting on potential answers/solutions
  • pm - report back to the whole group
  • pm - prepare publication (blog post, github wiki, premise of a scientific paper?, etc.)

Who is facilitating

Some of us potentially will lead one of the two tracks

• A network scientist: Guy Melançon, University of Bordeaux, FR
  • Three ethnographers: Amelia Hassoun (Oxford Internet Institute, UK), Anders Munk (University of Aalborg, DK), Federico Monaco (University of Parma)
  • An economist: Alberto Cottica, Edgeryders, Tallin, EE

We also have a number of additional contributors and “data crunchers” (if names are missing please add or send a note):

• Noemi Salantiu, community manager and network-philantropist, Edgeryders, EE
  • Raquel Ureña, computer scientists, expert in topic modeling approaches, University of Granada, ES (EC Marie-Curie fellow, research visitor at UBx)
  • Jason Vallet, computer scientists (soft dev and PhD) and main architect and developer of the GraphRyder platform, University of Bordeaux, FR
  • Bruno Pinaud, computer scientists and expert in Visual Analytics, University of Bordeaux, FR
  • Antoine Laumond, computer scientists (PhD) and expert in context-based network exploration, University of Bordeaux, FR
  • University of Bordeaux interns
    • Norbert Féron, first and early developer of the GraphRyder framework
    • Adrien Dufraux, Tulip expert and colleague of Benjamin Renoust (Detangler designer and developer)
    • Clarisse Sauvage, working on machine learning models applied to text (wine tasting notes)
    • Gautier Laisné, working on data analytics and link predicion approaches

How to prepare

A simple, yet useful, way to prepare is to have a look at:

1 Like

How many groups?

We should plan for groups. The idea is:

1. A minimum viable group consists of and ethnographer, a network scientist and a problem that both are interested in. 
  2. Smaller groups are better. Especially ethnographers will be a scarce resource, so separating them could be a great idea if everyone agrees. 
  3. Ideally people can commit to a group ahead of time.

I think we are looking at three issues that we might look into.

1. Bringing the "social" into Social Semantic Network Analysis. The code co-occurrence network (CCN) is such a fascinating object that we spent all the time looking at it. We are not really taking advantage of the interaction element as we build our network. You can look at it as network reduction problem: we use what we know about interaction to reduce the CCN, rather than just filter for edge force as we are doing now. If we find something we think is interesting we are still in time to make this work into GItHub issues and ask @Jason_Vallet to deploy it on GraphRyder before the end of the project. I see a group with @Noemi , @Amelia and @bpinaud (Bruno, I assume you will be there!).
  2. Comparing network-based approaches to digital etnography. If Anders does indeed show up with the full Instagram dataset, we can lay the groundwork for a comparative methodology paper. I see a group with Anders, @melancon and probably myself too.
  3. Re-using the OpenCare CCN for a different question. @Federico_Monaco and @Ezio_Manzini are spearheading a paper on "from talk to action", with a very rich methodology (for example, Federico's own participant observation within WeMake). We talked yesterday, and he is interested in "seeing what the netwlrk says about that". This would be about extracting a subset of the OC network and exploring him: if well documented, it can be a fantastic user testing opportunity for GraphRyder. I see a group with Federico (obviously) and Jason. 

Does this work? What do people think?

A “Tulip helpdesk”

If a lot of people show up, we risk spending three hours installing software. Of course we will send out links and instructions, but at the end of the day there’s always people who have not RTFM. So: can @melancon or @bpinaud find a charitable CompSci student to volunteer to be the “Tulip helpdesk”? The person would have the software and data on a USB drive, and know how to set up people with different OS so that they are good to go.

Tulip 5 on the way…

Hello,

We are polishing the next version which is Tulip 5. I hope it will be released next week. Our interns or PhD students will be able to help. It is a good idea to prepare a USB drive. We will also try to set up a dedicated Wifi network for those who do not have eduroam. I will get in touch with Luce for this.

Thanks,

Bruno

Tagging along

I’ll be in Bordeaux as well and would like to participate. I can only offer my common sense and curiosity though, no hard skills.

Hi @WinniePoncelet,

common sense is all you need, science is after all common sense, a pinch of useful dubitativity (à la Descartes) and methodology. Get on the ride for that recipe with us, we need you.

See you in (hope it will still be) sunny (and hot) Bordeaux next week.

1 Like

Groups division

Thanks @Alberto, very interesting setting. As for the division, seems to me that @Rossana_Torri and I fit into Group 3. Re-using the OpenCare CCN for a different question. Indeed “from talk to action” is a key issue from our point of view. Nevertheless, if you recommend splitting into different groups we are happy to do so (from my side I would provide an unskilled, naive voice to any other team).

I’ll be there

Don’t worry, I will be there. Tulip 5 will be released next Monday. We have also to debug your Mac…

graphryder.opencare.cc new subdomain

you can now reach GraphRyder using this url:

graphryder.opencare.cc

2 Likes