Hi, hello dear Edgeryders!
We are Antiheroes:
A two-(wo)men organisation based in Brussels. We function just like a consultancy, except that we make pretty strange recommendations. You see, we commit ourselves to the art of being wrong and of openly talking about failure. We create environments, conditions, mindsets and tools for you to share your failures and proactively learn from them. Meaning your own failures, those of others and those that you like to blame on others (because you do, we’ve got science proving it ;))
We’d like some drum rolls for the following announcement…
We are proposing BRUSSELS to be the host of LOTE#5 and to focus the event on FAILURE!
First, let’s talk about Brussels a bit. We understand and appreciate that you may think of our city as the most boring place in Europe. But it’s not. Admittedly, the weather sucks most of the time and there is a neighborhood filled with Eurocrats with big pockets and not enough urgency. That’s just one neighborhood though, zooming out, you will see a very strange city. Only 1 million inhabitants, but due to all the immigration we are coping with a giant variety in cultures one of the largest rich-poor gaps in Europe. On these edges where rich and poor and a plurality of identities are meeting, very interesting projects are brewing. Sometimes literally, as there are many projects on beer.
Now that we know why Brussels is cool, let’s talk about having failure as a theme. Or not necessarily as a theme, but as a guideline. Why are we so convinced this is a good idea?
Because we’ve been working with this theme for a year and, aside from a number of fuckups which you can read about in our freezer, this is what has come out of it:
- We’ve held 7 FuckUp Nights Brussels. These are anti-conferences where speakers come to talk about their biggest professional failure. Atmosphere: refreshing and offbeat. Results: 1153 attendees, 27 speakers, 2 corporate and several (non)governmental sponsorships and partnerships.
- We’ve put many news readers in trouble for using the word Fuck on tv and radio.
- We’ve drawn attention to the problems meritocratic thinking is causing our society in 7 newspapers, 3 magazines, 3 blogposts, a tv-documentary, and 2 radioshows. But who’s counting :-)
- We’ve come up with a ‘Brace for Failure’ series of workshops, featuring amongst others the titles ‘Poor Little Smart Kid’ and ‘Destroy Your Idea’.
- We’ve held these workshops with over 40 entrepreneurs and design students.
The skills we’ve been working are: how to decouple your ideas from your ego, how to admit defeat, how to replace blame with accountability, how to not judge failure, how to ask for help,… These skills are needed to be a resilient entrepreneur, but if you think about it, they are also really necessary to allow a multicultural society to flourish and to get a good implementation of participative decision making.
if we think back of the challenges of Brussels, with its wonderful but dysfunctional multiculturality and its not-so-developed participatory democracy, the conclusion is that we need you.
We don’t just propose, we need LOTE#5 to be in Brussels.
So what do you think? Want to come ride on our edge for a bit?