Community Call: The role and value of open source in context of the Covid-19 Crisis

:rofl:

General rule: Minimize the stuff you collect that cross relate with real persons. Is it possible to be anonymous? Great.

Practical:

1. Keep material, text and databases in a place in your organization ownership control. Encrypt backups if you have it external to your owned systems. Use gpg for this purpose. Host a key signing party for the persons which are to be trusted with the content of this data.

2. Have a procedure in place to destroy all or parts with short notice and keep encryption keys for backups offline and hidden.

3. Have a process to resist exporting the content to authorities. Be nice, but don’t be complicit.

4. Confidential content should be very little and definetly not attached to a social / office platform at all. This is not trivial.

Have a separate system for such things is a manageable way perhaps. I think this all depends on what this confidential material is, which I don’t.

1. Sefeguard against cryptolocking by testing backup/restore cycles automatically.

2. Don’t use anything but open source software for security/integrity related software. Who knows who might be listening if you can’t tell what goes on?

3. Keep shared passwords and keys in a safe place. For example with keepass2 or perhaps consider using ‘vault’ by Hasicorp. I have no experience with vault yet though. All other components is what I use and/or adopt personally.

1 Like

Reminder to everyone interested in joining/continuing this discussion:
The next iteration of this call is tomorrow, 7th of April, 18:00.

• We are still using the same zoom room for now (Launch Meeting - Zoom), but if you are up for it I would suggest that we could also use this as an opportunity to try out two potential alternatives (Edgeryders test customers for Jitsi servers - #18 by MariaEuler) which are currently discussed. But we would need to invite some more people in to properly stress-test those tools. Could you maybe ask some friends to tune in for 15 minutes or so?

• The other topics on the agenda would be to plan the Subscription Education Webinar more in detail, decide on the length, date, who to invite and what to put on the agenda.

Looking forward to seeing you!

ping @erik_lonroth, @felix.wolfsteller, @Emile, @Alessandro, @unclecj, @matthias, @hugi, @mattias

1 Like

Reminder to everyone interested in joining/continuing this discussion:
The next iteration of this call is today, 14th of April, 18:00.

• We are still using the same zoom room for now (https://zoom.us/j/781781805 ) but am in the process of developing and testing our own alternative call tool which we can hopefully switch to in a few weeks time.
  • The other topics on the agenda would also still be to plan the Subscription Education Webinar more in detail, decide on the length, date, who to invite and what to put on the agenda.

ping @erik_lonroth, @felix.wolfsteller, @Emile, @Alessandro, @unclecj, @matthias, @hugi, @mattias

1 Like

Notes and summary from last call will follow here soon together with a draft for the webinar anouncement! :slight_smile:

The next iteration of this call is tomorrow, 28th of April, 18:00.

Agenda:

• The upcoming next could webinar:
  1. “Own Your Cloud” on 8th of May, 17:00 - 19:00 is a discussion of the ethical and legal implications of subscription services for clouds combined with a hands-on workshop helping everyone in the webinar to set up their own nextcloud, a free and open-source cloud that you will own yourself!
    Learn more & join the rsvp list here:Own Your Cloud - webinar/nextcould setup workshop 8th of May
    at least one hour before the call. Afterwards you can join via this link: now.edgeryders.eu/call/12942
  • How to set up more similar events
  • Edgeryder move away from Zoom to our own tool
  • David Graeber notion of “Ductaper’s” in coding development (see "Bullshit Jobs)

To join the call comment here and I will add you to the rsvp list. (will already add those in this thread who have been at calls before, so you are free to join) .

2 Likes

Is it ductaper or duck-taper (I know ducktaping from ruby, unfortunately :wink: )? And: At the link, I couldnt see the relevant pages (viewing limit reached). And: I added a comment now, please add me to the rsvp list although I am not sure if I’ll join. Thanks.

1 Like

this is correct.

will add you to the list

Notes from the last biweekly call on the 28th of April

After cycling through a few different tools and technical problems with the current very much under development now.edgeryders call tool we settled on a jitsi call for now.

The call started with a discussion of the planned webinar “own your cloud” on the 8th of May and the learning for the planning of future events from the very positive reactions and signup rate between @erik_lohnroth and @mariaeuler.

Later @mattias joined the call and we discussed his experiences at a Cryptoparty event he went to the previous friday and what projects cryptoparty does in general and how initiatives could be connected:

• last time they showed them how to set up their own jitsi servers
  • Did similar for passwords

After Mattias talked about his personal journey into open source tech and through multiple organizations Erik and Mattias started discussing how to change 100 year old culture moving from proprietary to open source. BOth these structures as well as personal changes from corporate to opensource is very important for both of them.

Mattias was also interested in how to run communities through edgeryders. Future conversations as well as this 📗 Community Management Manual can give insites here.

Erik offers to help Mattias and others interested in Sweden to connect with key figures in the open source community in sweden.

Especially with the NGO Mattias is working with some collaboration with eriks connections and edgeryders involved involved could be interesting.

The discussion also touched again on the need for change in perception of open source as it happened in the last 10 years and how similar would need to happen for crypto currencies:

“People think there is a conflict between open source and earning money

10 years ago people thought that open source is for pirates

It will be the same with the crypto economy . Until it becomes a fundamental factor in life.”

Finally we discussed if we could team up with Cryptoparties for another webinar. Since they already did an event on password safety and the plan was to do something similar next in the same way as the “own your cloud” event.

We would like to invite people who have been involved with the password safety event by cryptoparty to the next biweekly open source conversation call on the 12th of May to discuss the possibility of creating the next webinar together and looking back together on experiences from the real live event as well as our webinar from the 8th.

1 Like

@erik_lonroth and @mattias, did you invite anyone for today? Otherwise, we would like to pause community calls this week to have some time sorting out some tech issues. + I am participating in A MIcrosolidarity online course this week which is always from 18:00 to 19:30.

When would suit you instead?

1 Like

I need some more time to prepare.

1 Like

No problem for me with cancelled call, I could not attend unfortunately. I think the next regular opportunity every other week works best for me.

1 Like