OPENcare Pop-up Village - call for a host city

<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>[TITLE OF THE PIECE]<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>

<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>In 2017, we are seeking a host city to help us host and build the next Living On The Edge. LOTE is an international UnConference organised by community members from Edgeryders. It is a meeting of people from around the world who are exploring the leading edge of science, social policy, and modern living. So far, LOTE events have been organized in Italy, France, and Belgium; each bringing together over 60 activists, hackers, thinkers, artists, and makers from all around the globe. We have succeeded in creating a unique platform for online and offline meetings between stakeholders from the government, the successful start-up community, and the Edgeryders network. LOTE events are uniquely crafted to create synergies between hosting communities and a broad network of changemakers, both through offline meetings and through access to the vast database of knowledge that the initiatives gathered on the Edgeryders website provide. <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>LOTE6: The Edge of Care<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:

“Times New Roman”;color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’> will be the culmination of an 18-month international project called OpenCare. Through OpenCare we have discovered hundreds of projects changing the landscape of caregiving in their communities. We have been studying innovative aspects of care from around the world and want to come together to discuss, learn and investigate our findings. Most importantly we want to do it in your city. <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>To serve the needs of all our participants and be consistent with our core theme- Care, LOTE6 will involve several separate but mutually cohesive tracks of enquiry: physical (body exercising, manual work, therapy etc.), personal (development and growth), and professional/intellectual enquiry. The details of these tracks will be developed and honed over the year by Edgeryders event management team in collaboration with our partners and you, our gracious hosts.<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>What makes LOTE6 special and why do we need your support?<span style='font-size:

12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:

“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>For 2017 LOTE6 is taking a hands-on approach. Inspired by the Pop-up Care Village event carried out in San Francisco, (<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:

115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’><span style='font-size:11.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;

color:#1155CC;background:white’>http://tinyurl.com/z6ast93<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>, <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’><span style='font-size:11.0pt;line-height:

115%;font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;color:#1155CC;background:white’>http://tinyurl.com/hjwfby8<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’> ) we are looking to create an event that combines the Edgeryders’ online community resources and knowledge with local on-the-ground initiatives: The OpenCare PopUp village. <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>The OpenCare PopUp village<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:

“Times New Roman”;color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’> involves reaching out to local initiatives in your city and providing them with a chance to showcase their work in action as part of the big event. We want to find projects that approach social, personal, and physical care in new, exciting, and unconventional ways. We are looking to invite projects that tackle access to care; projects that bridge the housing gap, or are investigating the creation of sustainable communities; projects finding innovative ways to access affordable healthcare; and projects that are working on solutions to address the needs of the elderly, migrants, and/or those people in society current underserved or overlooked by the authorities. We believe that all our care needs must be re-addressed to keep pace with the rapidly changing social, economic, political, and cultural landscape of a 21st Century globe.<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>We propose to invite those who are already pioneering work in these areas; improving the lives of people in the host city, in the wider country, as well as their peers from all over Europe and the rest of the world. They will come together as partners and co-creators of LOTE6 presenting the fruits of their effort and demonstrating the ability of civil society, social entrepreneurship, and open source innovations to accelerate the solving of complex issues. <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>We have experience of connecting to these types of initiative through our work on the Open&Change project. We brought together groups of initiatives in Brussels, New York, Thessaloniki, and Berlin, now we are looking to extend our network into your city; helping you to raise international awareness of the great work that your citizens and organisations are undertaking in your city. Edgeryders event coordinators have skills at finding and reaching out to organisations and initiatives that operate on the fringes as well as in the mainstream. The OpenCare PopUp village will seek to engage public institutions and local businesses in a dialogue about how to provide the best method of access to these products, services, and spaces to disenfranchised members of their communities. As always, Edgeryders will be working on sustainable, long lasting ideas that can support these synergies after the main events end.<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>Why are we reaching out to new places?<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:

115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>

#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>Using Coral Reefs as our model, Edgeryders proposes <span style='font-size:12.0pt;

line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:

“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’><span style='font-size:11.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;

color:black;background:white’>a new kind of connective layer as an enabler of social and political renewal<span style='font-family:

“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;color:#333333;

background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>. One that is distributed, hyper-local and transnational at the same time. <span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>We are building a network of appropriate physical infrastructure in different locations, embedded in an online conversation and equipped with collective tools that help us make sense of our interactions. You can read more about our plans here: <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’><span style='font-size:9.5pt;line-height:

115%;font-family:“Verdana”,sans-serif;color:#1155CC;background:white’>Can Politics Be Collaborative?<span style='font-size:9.5pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Verdana”,sans-serif;

mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;mso-bidi-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’> <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>Our first Reef prototype is focused on supporting people and initiatives contributing towards making health- and social care accessible for all, open source, privacy-friendly and participatory. We want your city to be a part of our Reef.<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>The aim of the Edgeryders Reef is to set up in an international space where people can live a good life on little money. A space for up to 20 people, where community members would live and work. Some people will be based permanently, others will be doing temporary residencies to work on projects. The focus is on experience-based learning and key tracks will evolve through an ongoing relationship with, and contribution to the local community. <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;

<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;

mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;color:#333333;background:white;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>What benefits are there for the host city?<span style='font-size:12.0pt;

line-height:115%;font-family:“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:

“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>

1. #333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>What are we looking for?<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:

“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:

EN-GB’>

• #333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>What can you expect between now and LOTE6?<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:

• #333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>How to apply?

#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>

#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>Send an email expressing your intention to host the event to Natalia: <span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:black;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>natalia@edgeryders.eu<span style='font-family:“Arial”,sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>, please include any information on how you can provide the necessary support and infrastructure for the event. <span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:

“Times New Roman”,serif;mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;mso-fareast-language:

EN-GB’>

color:#333333;background:white;mso-fareast-language:EN-GB’>We are looking forward to hearing from you - the deadline for expressions of interest is 30th January 2017.<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:

EN-GB’>

3 Likes

Perhaps Lille

Just did a presentation of what we want to do over the next period at Adaweek. It was well recieved. and someone proposed that we do it in her hometown, lille. And wants to get involved. Let’s see :slight_smile:

I really like this analogy of the reef. It’s smart and it makes sense.

When i’m back in the UK i’m going to talk to the local mayor and see if there is a potential space in my home town.

1 Like

Thanks!

The images used need a lot more work, they’re mostly placeholders.

Also I think we could do with an animation of what we want to build based on coral reef similar in style to the fabulous ones @SamMuirhead made.

How about…

@Aravella_Salonikidou for the city of Thessaloniki? Do you think there would be interest for such an event - a pop-up village, like a demo of OpenCare initiatives for which Edgeryders would join efforts in fundraising?

Good Idea!

I think Thessaloniki is a good idea. I’ll ask the mayor :slight_smile:  asap! Maybe, I’ll need more details.

2 Likes

Open call => win

I really like the idea. We can give LOTE6 to the community to place it where it is most wanted, and find new allies and friends in the city in the process. Well played, @Natalia_Skoczylas and all.

If I can make a small suggestion, I would transform the “two local volunteers” into co-protagonists of the proposal. In other terms, the proposal would be made jointly by a city and two community members. What do you think?

4 Likes

Nice idea.

Shares the load amongst protagonists in the city and provides ER with more support and possibilities.

I’ve made a quick edit to suggest this.

Good evening everyone, sorry for the radio silence, but the forum just finished and i try to catch up with tasks.

I was drafting a bit of questions and ideas on how to proceed, as I will be now preparing the tour (and hopefully parachuting again somewhere to put together the village). Sorry for mistakes, I use a tablet, not comfy.

Noemi has already mentioned two routes for the tour, one around Spain and Portugal to Morrocco, and one from Romania to Greece (we could add Bulgaria here, we lack Bulgarians ;)). Considering the weather, I would go for the first tour in February, and second April. We would need a least two months before heading off to establish links and plan ahead.

How long can the tours be? How many people do we intend to bring with us in the circus? Destinations are cheap, that helps.

I would already shape each of these tours as a small community capacity showcase, bringing along one or two members who participated in the open and change and could best illustrate what care is about, but also add a tangible component to the tour.

We need to think how, besides bringing stories and enriching the research, can we use this experience in building the reef.

We can already experiment with some of the ideas that pop up village has been testing, such as pop up shop where consumers buy things for others (medicine for the sick, socks for the homeless), barbers for the sexual minorities, mobile showers and so on.

I will be outting together a list of cities and partners, but also ideas for activities - any information that could help here, contacts, tips, great actions that we could use are more than welcome.

1 Like

The tours can happen at the same time.

I think February is great…!

I propose we have a skype call ahead mid December in order to pull together all the potential sites for February (as you said, we need to plan 2 months in advance) and groups around them in a dataset similar to the Case Study Adventure in 2014. Some of us have places we think are potentially interesting.

Also, we have overlapping travel stuff already between those who have so far manifested interest to join the scouting: to give you an idea, in Jan/ February with Alex Levene we want to go to Thessaloniki, then to the Vault Fest London event + I might do a Georgia/ Armenia short tour on a difft account. An ER members shared calendar would come in handy.

Do you know someone in Bulgaria Natalia?

2 Likes

Also heads up

I’m going to Thessaloniki mid January. Vault festial events are in early February.

In May i’m going to Armenia for the month to spend time at Yerevan ICA with @Iriedawta and her team (and do some arts work)

In June i go to Finland for the whole month for a Back to Basics arts residency (so will be out of contact for the whole month)

I’m also looking at a possible trip to Abkhazia for March/April time, depending on other things in my diary.

I’d love to join the scouting party, but February is the worst time for me. I’ll be working in London for the festival. Don’t let my absence changing the planning though.

3 Likes

Got it!

We’ll see, many things are just now being planned. Maybe we can accommodate your (i must say) pretty awesome schedule Alex! <3

I do now :))

Someone working on Alt33c3 is from and based on Sofia. Tell me what you need.

1 Like

@Aravella Salonikidou , let

@Aravella_Salonikidou , let me know if you need a presentation or a document to show to the city

@nadia, is there anything we could do with lille? Or we juts have to wait now;)

1 Like

Got in touch with Ayate who is from Lille about the visit

just sent her a message asking if it’s ok I connect you two to discuss. From Brussels lille is a short trainride away, so I could do it… Also, Ronan’ll probably want to be onboard also. Will ask him to create account so he can get in this conversation, planning etc.

Ok connected you with Ayate

Check inboxes in mail and Fb <3

Yes, please! :slight_smile:

What tours?

Sorry guys, I’m just trying to catch up.

@Noemi when are you coming to Armenia? Looking forward to catch up! Have a place to stay? xx

If you want to consider ICA’s space in Yerevan, count us in as a potential space for LOTE6.

Thanks dear!

I don’t know exactly, sometime February-March, UNDP stuff more than OpenCare as we are planning a follow up to Future Makers, and so the community dimension is there anyway… so I thought it might be worth doing something on the side. Will email you the details in case we don’t get to blog about this soon.

1 Like

Shared calendar => win

Maybe make it open, so that people can add themselves to it?

BUT: please, do not just go out and make something. I think this needs to be “done right”, like @Matthias likes to say. Among other things, this means taking into account what people are already using as calendar apps, to save them (er, us) the hassle of having to manage TWO calendars (one for yourself, one for the shared part).