Hey, so there are a few things I think we’d need to change about our texts. Especially if want people to take action. Let me explain (looked at the page through riot link):
How are we building good lives against a backdrop of massive social, economic, political challenges? How are we creating opportunities for ourselves and where can we support one another better? In work, health, family, community life.
It’s asking difficult questions - and we should avoid asking questions, let alone difficult one, as less people will be inclined to take action. But also, the questions make me as reader think you will give me the answer. But what we want is the people coming to our landing page to click on a button that allows them to share their story. We want them to take action. It also has maybe too many “difficult” words, and since we really want a wide audience, we have to be mindful of that. (words like ‘community’ are very much only appealing or understandable to one higher educated left leaning target group)
So, an alternative to to overarching explainer could be (rough draft, very open to input, but you’ll get the idea):
Job loss, no access to healthcare, chaotic or unfair elections and more. Living a good life in these uncertain times can be tough. Share how you manage to do so, whether it’s in your work, your health, with your family, or friends.
Now, regarding the copy for the buttons:
- “Burning Topics” or “Hot Right Now” - these lines are great for a young, active, artsy even audience, but would not be appealing to more conservative folks for example. Something more “general” could be: Most Popular Stories or even only Popular Stories (it’s easy, everyone understands it, and if I understand it, it’ll make me click more likely)
- “Join the Forum” or conversation - what do we want people to do here? Do we want them to join? And then what? As user, I have no idea what’s being asked from me if I’d join, and why I would want to. What’s in it for me. One option could be Share Your Story (unless you want a different action)
- “About the Organisers” - what is the difference between edgeryders and organisers?
- “Browse topics” - Just keep it simple, the only thing we have (correct?) are stories and topics, so I guess just Browse is more than enough
- “About Edgeryders” - see point 4
I think the wellbeing community managers may be interested in sharing their ideas re my text change proposals, @noemi @natalia_skoczylas @Jirka_Kocian @MariaEuler (is that all?)