Tuesdays at 16:30 CET: Weekly team call where we collaboratively select and curate content for effective communication

Hi everyone.

These weekly calls are where the Edgeryders communication crew coordinates the work of supporting project teams, community managers, fellows and community members to get the word out and engage people in the exciting work everyone is doing.

They happen here every tuesday at 16.30 CET: Launch Meeting - Zoom

Please add activities, Links to content, questions or proposals for topics/questions/campaigns that you wish us to include in the agenda for the next call(as) in a comment below. Also, if you have information, input that can help us please feel free to post in comments below.

IOH

Current Affairs, News or events in the world

• what are hot conversation topics in the countries we are focused on, such as the unfolding church scandal in Poland, or the massive protests against correuption in the Czech Republic? And which hashtags?
    My own ones are

– Tech + Sustainability: How to do a campaign/ call for people to send us burning questions to explore around this topic? What is the call for action/input? Who do we want in this conversation?
    – Tech + Justice: How to do a campaign/ call for people to send us burning questions to explore around this topic? What is the call for action/input? Who do we want in this conversation?
    Content to promote this week

Upcoming Activities

• SxTech - Invite people to a local IOH meetup while Nadia is there
  • Upcoming events we should be at (& drawing people to come talk to us while we are there)
  • Event + Outreach campaign combos: Tech & Justice event in November
  • Theme/campaign calendar

Content to improve or produce

• Deck positioning the Edgeryders platform, approach and UVP in context of NGI
  • Deck presenting and calling for engagement from would be participants

Wellbeing in Europe

Upcoming Activities

• The Outreach events tour
    • July: in Czech Rep and Poland.
    • Autumn: Serbian and German Legs Later in summer/autumn
  • Onboarding events led by local connectors and partners in each country are to happen end of 2019.
  • Ask each local connector for a timeline of and attendance to local events - example in Belgrade where now unfortunately no one can attend.

Current Affairs, News or articles

Research Network

Upcoming Activities
Current Affairs, News or articles

GENERAL

1. How it’s best to optimize content/ stories for social media, especially those in different languages. We need to preserve the integrity of the posts and users, so if edits are to be made they need to be notified.

2. how to push out the Virtual Cafes so that more people register and can meet a human talking in their own language as opposed to a multilanguage international distant forum. If we said those are the entry points in the community, lets make it so
 if only because human live interaction has been the one offering the best results so far in our years of community building. Many of best stories came from people who at some point met Nadia, Natalia and engagers in person.

3. how to engage Partners to post their activities on the platform? It is not feasible for our outreach team to promote the consortium’s activities unless partners post information on the platform @RobvanKranenburg is already doing this <3 Now, how to get the others to do the same?.

4. how to let community members know that the comms team is there to support their work and make it easy for people to contribute to the collaborative content submission and curation efforts?

@alberto @Jan @marina @noemi @johncoate @hugi @natalia_skoczylas @Richard @Jirka_Kocian @MariaEuler @amelia @anon82932460 @inge @matteo_uguzzoni @pbihr @zelf @bob @martin @matthias

3 Likes

Hi Nadia,

Can you relate the Current Affairs that you bring forward to Internet of Humans? I do not grasp the connection,

Greetings, Rob

One of our strategies is to make connections between these topics we explore in Internet of Humans, and topics/news that are actively being discussed in different countries. We use the hastagh for the news, and the topic of discussion and then write an article and status updates making the connection between what people currently care about and this project. example: Projekte gegen die Zerstörung und fĂŒr die Zukunft

1 Like

I find this really strange. This means that edgeryders is engaging or even taking sides in real time political debates in European countries?

Is in the opinion of edgeryderrs Next Generation Internet a party political project?

Nadia, Which topic in IoH are you referring to? Can you explain why the bashing of a German centre party is relevant got IoH?

Matthias says:

"Nice follow-up video from 2 hours ago, with many of the German YouTubers collaborating with Rezo.’

Mehr als 3,3 Mio mal wurde das “Die Zerstörung der CDU” Video von Youtuber Rezo bereits angeschaut und Petitionen es im öffentlich rechtlichen Rundfunk abzuspielen wurden bereits gestartet.

To me it sounds like he is bashing the ‘centre’ politics in MTV style in his bedroom. All good but should we take this as a serious analysis?

Maria Euler says:

Especially young people reacted with interest and thankfulness to the video and shared it with friends and family to start discussions and share information.

Thankfulness?
Dankbarkeit?

His next video is about EU Politics which he calls ‘fucking langweilig’. Do you think that is a sound strategic term?

Then the title:
Projekte gegen die Zerstörung und fĂŒr die Zukunft

Can you explain what the Zerstörung is and what the ‘Future’?

Rezo publishes on his two YouTube channels and belongs to the Influencer network Tube One, which is marketed by Ströer Digital.

Tube one says:

Wir arbeiten bereits seit 2012 mit Social Influencer und Marken erfolgreich zusammen.

Tube one is marketed by Stroër, Revenuie 1,123.3 million EUR[1] (2016)

1 Like

Nope it means that we are directing some of the attention from that mono-discourse towards a more multifaceted/sophisticated discussion in here.

Remember, this is a p2p space - individuals posting on platform represent/speak only for themselves and not for any third party.

As for expressions of gratitude, if you look at the threads/responses to his post/ video you will see that people literally express this - it is not an interpretation but an account of what is being said.

No, @RobvanKranenburg. It means that we map technology policy choices onto their real-life consequences, so as to make the debate more inclusive. In this, we are learning from experience: for example, that of the 2014 EU consultation on copyright (again!). A consultation was out, but it was not getting many responses. This was in large part because it consisted of an 80-pages questionnaire, contained in a downloadable MS Word file, written in legalese and only in English. A group of activists translated it into several languages, and – importantly – mapped the questions of the questionnaire onto real life experiences. For example: “if you have had problems sharing videos with your friends in other EU countries, answer question 16”. Unsurprisingly, this jacked up participation by two orders of magnitude, and greatly increased the diversity of responses. Only professional lobbyists, who get paid for it, will fill an 80-pages questionnaire in legalese. But that’s wasteful, because lobbyists already have their channels to talk to the EU institutions, and the latter already know what lobbyists think. Consultation are most useful when they reach into the corners of society that normally do not request appointments with the Commission, like – in this case – teenagers sharing videos and amateur DJs wondering on the legal consequences of remixing (more on this).

This sounds like a rhetorical question. However, OK: there is no “Edgeryders”. Edgeryders does not have opinions. People who post on the Edgeryders platform occasionally do, and we do not police them. We do ask them to abide our netiquette. This position is consistent:

• With the NGI Forward Grant Agreement. It lists as the first objective of the NGI Forward platform:

Offer everyone prepared to reflect on NGI and the future Internet more broadly an easy-to-use dynamic platform to do it on, and a diverse, inclusive and dissent-tolerant community to do it with.

• With the EU’s core values. Our motto is, not coincidentally, in varietate concordia. Dissent does not make us enemies. That is the whole point of uniting a continent where people have butchered each other for 700 years, often over matters of religion and ideology.

The material appearing on the platform is not analysis per se. We treat it as data for collective intelligence, again as per the GA. The point of collective intelligence is that it corrects itself. In the case you mention, what happens is this: the ethnographers coding this particular post might enter codes that make a “spurious” correlation, for example social media and CDU (in practice I doubt this will happen, my understanding of the post is that @MariaEuler and @matthias are remarking on the uneasy relationship between political communication and the architecture of the Internet. Nothing to do the with the CDU). This will induce an edge between these two codes in the semantic network. As the rest of the corpus is coded, two things might happen:

1. Nowhere else is this connection made. In this case, it is by definition not “collective intelligence”, but just one person’s opinion. It gets discarded in Graphryder, together with the other weak edges.
  2. The connection resurfaces in other corners of the platform, and in different conversations. In this case, several people see it as relevant. We have an empirical regularity. Win! We might then want to go deeper to interpret what it means. We might even learn something about the issue at hand, which is the whole point of the exercise. If we already knew everything there is to know about the future internet, there would be no point running a consultation.

I don’t understand your point. What are you suggesting here? That we should check all content ever published by anyone who is mentioned on the NGI Forward platform, even if they publish it elsewhere, and erase such mentions if we disapprove of their terminology?

2 Likes

@RobvanKranenburg, we want to take in ongoing discussions to be able to analyse and learn from them. The post and thread were aimed to get some people discussing their opinion on the video, the problems raised in it as well as the problems they might see with the format or the challenges political communication faces on the platform. The title was in reference to the video as it is was intended to be used as a starting point here, but I tried to give it a positive spin with the “for the future” and that future would be what we are trying to work on with the Next Generation Internet projects.

The post was meant to encourage discussing something that was very relevant and talked about on the platform, not to represent edgeryders alignment with anything.

Therefore I suggested in the call to action that it would be best to discuss the different problems and topics raised in the video with examples and projects rather than focusing the meta discussion searching for constructive and solution models.

" Nimm zum Beispiel einen Timestamp, Clip oder Referenz aus dem Video und fĂŒge deine Projektidee oder ein Projekt von dem du weißt an und verlinke es hier, oder schreibe ein Kommentar hier und beschreibe es.

WAS HILFT GEGEN DIE ZERSTÖRUNG FÜR DIE ZUKUNFT?

• WĂ€hlen zum Beispiel, aber das allein reicht noch nicht.
  • Informieren auch, aber wieder, das allein auch nicht, also was fĂŒr Projekte helfen oder könnten helfen? Und wer macht sie oder will sie machen?"

And finally, the call to vote in the European election, in the end, is something we can probably all get behind.

1 Like

I have to reflect a bit on this joint response. I still do not really see the relevance to NGI, but then again that could then well. be me if you so all are in agreement that this is so. This is fine an interesting assertion: “The point of collective intelligence is that it corrects itself.” Will think about this and do some homework on collective intelligence.

1 Like

Example:

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~fviegas/papers/history_flow.pdf

Our own work:

1 Like

I think the idea was to utilize a recent online trend as a conversation starter, and then see where that discussion goes. To me, the most relevant part for NGI from that viral video is probably “How do we want to deal with opinions and political campaigns on the Internet?” That’s the discussion that the video stirred here in Germany; basically “who can say what and when online about politics and how does it have to be marked”. Sadly, nobody from the community picked up on the thread, so we did not get there 

As for opinions, I sure have them but I think I was careful to put my contributions in such a way to not create a politically divisive discussion. Also it’s a post by me as an individual, made in unpaid time – I’m only paid for tech stuff. (If we want to say something with official status for the project, we make that clear by putting it into privileged parts of the site like category descriptions or the company blog.)

If you have an idea how to distinguish more clearly what is project communication and what is just a personal opinion or contribution, let us know please. I think it could be clearer, but I don’t have a good idea for the UX right now 

Hi Mathias, I also have no clear idea but may be indeed it is. start to think about ‘official’ pages. As an outsider, not really knowing who are what edgeryders is, I see a discussion under Internet of Humans that is peopled by all edgeryders (everyone in it identifies as edegryders), so it looks like a kind of ‘supported’ discussion (even though, but I don’t know that as I enter, that edgeryders is not having a vision/mission as a group), and it is without a context that I can identify as NGI. So then I think, like I did, an expert that I invite from a workshop to go to the site and check IoH and find an internal German discussion might get confused, thank you for clarifying, good weekend! Rob

1 Like

Since me and filip are responsible - together with you all - for outreach, how I see it:

to @ all of the smart minds here: any kind of news that you think is relevant to discussions you are having, I would like to know about those. Either to see if there’s a way we can hook a topic we find relevant to a larger global conversation, or draw in people from different kinds of believes worried about a certain issue. Of course I actually follow quite a lot of these topics already as a journalist and a hobby news reader, but we can miss things that could be very pertinent to a part of a conversation held somewhere.

And no matter the topic, there’s going to be people who disagree, but that usually makes the conversation - if done well, much more interesting.

Add this:

I am Zmorda from Tunis. I will be working on a new project in the MENA region, a P2P online mentoring project, as a project manager. The effective start of the project will be next July. I will be happy to join you for this call to meet the team and learn about your work, and also to explore together what you can help us in this new project.

1 Like

Apologies for missing today’s meeting. I mixed up the time zone again. I will do my best to attend as many of the upcoming meetings. R

2 Likes

just to reiterate: we’re having on today, correct?

Yes

1 Like

@noemi @inge @johncoate @MariaEuler @anon82932460 @natalia_skoczylas @owen_mcneir just a reminder this call is still on. Iam on the road and traffic is nuts. Likely to be 15 mins late

1 Like