ViConnect Play&Culture Prototype Webinar Event

We want to invite you to the ViConnect Play&Culture Prototype Event

This is the next step in the development of a webinar series using analogue drawing and VR technology to give you and your children a creative outlet and way to connect during the lockdown as well as a forum for a meaningful and creative borderless conversation.
The initiative and design of this workshop is by @federico_monaco

You can see the start of the idea and conversation here in this post about the VR Drawing.

When:

3rd of May, 16:00 - 17:30 CEST
2020-05-02T22:00:00Z

How to Join:

Comment to this post that you are interested and we will add you to the rsvp list and share the time and link to the call with you.

We are going to use our new Edgryders call tool with a secure rsvp list to make sure you and whatever you share is safe.

After stating your interest in this thread, just join via this link:

now.edgeryders.eu/call/13306

What:

We invite 4-5 families with children between 5 and 13 to join us for the first prototype run.

We will teach you how to get from a simple analogue sketch your children can do at home.

To a VR room of their own design which they can share with others:

In the Webinar you will learn how to do this and go on a VR journey with a Koala visiting Europe for the first time, asking the children for help to see their worlds during the lockdown :).

It’s going to be a great experience for you, your children and us and also the prototype for a larger course series we are currently developing (see bellow)

The future ViConnect course series coming after the prototype:

ViConnect is an inherently European project. A course series and online teach/connection method is developed in collaboration with Edgeryders, its diverse international community and the World Organisation for Early Childhood Education OMEP. It uses technology to empower creativity and transfer skills and knowledge for online teaching, the articulation and communication of culture and distributed collaboration. The course series consists of three one-week courses:*

Each course will teach the participants how to draw analogue sketches and paintings which can be transformed into VR environments in connection to a topical conversation and co-creative learning. We address 3 interconnected key-groups and topics which are especially relevant during the current crisis directly:

1. ViConnect Learning (first week, 10 - 20 participants ): Addresses educators and parents. We discuss the challenge of making virtual classrooms effective and using creativity and virtual reality to make digital teaching more engaging and ask the participants to use the experiences to design their “dream virtual classroom” to discuss further.

2. ViConnect Culture & Play (second week, 5-10 Families): Addresses children and parents to make virtual reality accessible to children and give them a creative outlet in times of quarantine and curfew and method of sharing their ideas and culture and to create awareness of the diversity of culture in Europe. Via a playful story we discuss and share culture and current situations: Children are asked to create VR-drawings to explain their home to a fictional character visiting Europe for the first time and are not allowed to travel due to lockdown.

3. ViConnect Work (third week, 10 - 20 participants): Addresses distributed/home office workers. We will discuss challenges and solutions for distributed work informed by the large distributed collaboration manual already developed by Edgeryders. The participants will be asked to use the VR-drawing technique to sketch their “dream home office”; the conversation will inform the ongoing development of another distributed collaboration MOOC by Edgeryders.

We want to invite you to the ViConnect Play & Culture Prototype Event.

{ "info": "This is the next step in the development of a webinar series using analogue drawing and VR technology to give you and your children a creative outlet and way to connect during the lockdown as well as a forum for a meaningful and creative borderless conversation. The initiative and design of this workshop is by @federico_monaco. You can see the start of the idea and conversation here in this post about the VR Drawing." }

How is this all financed?

This event is part of the NGI Forward project Generation Internet (NGI) initiative, launched by the European Commission in the autumn of 2016. It has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 825652 from 2019-2021. You can learn more about the initiative and our involvement in it at https://ngi.edgeryders.eu

Ngi logo

Eu emblem

4 Likes

Hey guys this is going to be fabulous! Do i need to print something beforehand? There was some kind of paper with a grid on it but I cannot remember how/where to find it?

@federico_monaco refered to this platform ealier to get grids:

But I think it would be good to post one chooses one here for use in this specific course.

@federico, could you post a grid people could/should prepare?

Federico is also preparing a prototype MOOC and material in general which will be put in its own subcategory on IOH before the weekend and linked here.

We could put credit on the grid

Given that the magic works only by 2:1 ratio (which is not A4 size) we can give two options: a) print it on a A3 or a4 and then uploading as A3 or A4 and resize it 2:1, or
b) work in digital on pc or online (we will draw and paint collaborately on https://awwapp.com/# to show the magic). I understand that not everybody has a printer/scanner, or at least I will show both ways (a; b).

2 Likes

My son and I are highly interested. We need more information though. Thank you.

2 Likes

What do I need to print?

Hello @amiridina,

great to have you! You only need to print the grid posted above by @federico_monaco :slight_smile:

Hi @amiridina glad to count you in for sunday… just to get an idea on how it works you can check what my daughter drew (https://github.com/demetramonaco/virtualdrawings/blob/master/Paesaggio%20fantastico%20e%20bello.jpeg) and what it looks like when uploaded on kuula and shared here on edgeryders. During the webinar we will do together all the steps from basic concept to publishing. I will show both the paper and the digital way. It will be fun and an opportunity on visual research for prescholar education and parenting about digital collaboration and virtual reality

I share the early draft of the methodology and activity VIC with Syd

cool. As a matter of personal taste, maybe you could change the green background to the blue from the logo? But that your call :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, you are right! green is the colour of VR…but is definitely strong… sunday we can ask what colour too… I think Syd deserves a much relaxing tone of green…

Hi @MariaEuler,
how are we going to onboard and connect participants to the webinar? By pinging them in advance and providing the link with some instructions? just trying to figure it out in advance.

1 Like

We are using the RSVP function therefore we can share the link in public here.

now.edgeryders.eu/call/13306

Only those whose Edgeryders Handel’s are put on the list (just shot one comment here) can join. So it is safe :slight_smile:
Will of course also send reminders out to everyone on Saturday and Sunday.

Pond @stefanoboski could you give this a little last push for more people to see it and maybe join on Sunday?

It is focused on families with children between 5 and 13.

1 Like

No problem! I will add some extra posts to the schedule.

2 Likes

Reminder: the prototype webinar for ViConnect takes place today!

Let’s help Syd to see Europe through VR drawing made by hand!

Looking forward to seeing you later today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Syd is looking forward to connecting with european kids in one hour 51

Hi @MariaEuler i’m online and can connect to room anytime …ready to work with participants here https://awwapp.com/b/ufnoyi2xnwlhi/