POPRebel Tour

_This post was last updated on June 5th - check the Edgeryders Facebook events page for latest dates:

The plan for our POPREBEL Outreach Tour.

POPREBEL is going to Poland, the Czech Republic (and Serbia?). Meet us there!

Czech Republic

Poland

• July 19 Katowice
  • July 21 Wrocław
  • Edgeryders contact: Natalia Skoczylas
  • Local host org: To be found
  • LOCATION (FINAL): to be confirmed

Serbia (TBC) -

Europe is not well.
Every year we are 1 million more, we live longer, but not healthier years. Nowadays as many as 2 out of 5 young people are unemployed in some countries. Despite global development of the standards of living, poverty is still a reality for many around us - the elderly, the young, the urban and the rural populations.

We struggle with access to good, affordable care.

We can’t afford a comfortable house, or to start a family.

What about minimal wage? About social care and support? Good schools and healthy food? Retirement when we’re older? Can there be enough of everything for all of us to lead happy, fulfilled lives?

We need to talk about it.
This summer, we are going on a tour to meet the humans of Europe who would like to join the story of the future, in a community of peers.

Wellbeing in Europe is a community effort where people from different countries meet and share ways to get better health, more work opportunities, more moral support and ways of being well in this life.

Your story is key to understanding the bigger picture.

Communities dealing with the same issues are key to finding solutions to these problems. By understanding the challenges and building alliances we’re providing new scenarios for the futures we want to live in.

Come to the POPREBEL Tour stop in your country! Meet outstanding people and hear their stories, and take the opportunity to share your own experience.

Extra bonus: Some of the stories collected during these events will be awarded 200 eur prizes.

And, we will invite you to help us build an event that will take place in your city/country later this year. This event will be crafted around the issues your community, family, town struggles - we will bring together experts and peers with relevant knowledge and strategically approach solving these problems.

3 Likes

@Nadia, @noemi, @anon82932460 - this is the first draft, it’s crafted for FB - which is why I don’t want to make it too elaborate, I know for sure people don’t read fb descriptions of events. I’m thinking maybe we should have a completely ridiculous title that would attract attention instead?

We also thought of visiting Serbia with Noemi in August, so maybe that would be a good first date? I believe by then we will have the team hired and the description will have to change, but anyway - then we can adapt it with the help of the local connector to make it fun and relevant.

What will be necessary now is to move the deadline for the story sharing prize maybe for the end of July, so that we give everyone a chance to participate? Or mid-August. There’s still not enough to pick from anyway.

1 Like

These cities are picked according to my contacts, I know people in each one of them, so it will be faster for me to organise it.

1 Like

@inge

1 Like

We need a description of why this why now?
Who is your audience?
What do they see as " a big problem" right now?
What is the Solution?
How does this event help realise that solution?
What are the Benefits for each participant?
Ending: encourage to them to come and tell them how to register.

Maybe good to have a suggestive video explaining the vibe? I like this one

I suggest relying on what we have written already with respect to the WHY @Nadia asks below - here is something I shortened for this purpose. I dont know what goes in facebook and what goes here on the platform, but it would be good to have a compelling full version of which we extract things for different channels…

Europe is not well.
Every year we are 1 million more, we live longer, but not healthier years. Nowadays as many as 2 out of 5 young people are unemployed in some countries. What education and skills are we going to teach our children if our planet has no future? The big contradiction is: how come if there is more stability and prosperity in the 21st century than ever before, we are not benefitting from humanity’s progress?

Wellbeing in Europe is a community effort where people from different countries meet and share ways to get better health, more work opportunities, more moral support and ways of being well in this life.

This summer, we are going on a tour to meet the humans of Europe who would like to join the story of the future, in a community of peers.
Come to the POPREBEL Tour stop in your country! Meet outstanding people and stories, and take the opportunity to share your own experience.

Agenda…

After this is finalised, we can have a re-written call for connectors and a call for co-hosting the Tour?

PS For visuals you can also re-purpose the Squad map if you want.

1 Like

Rewritten, I need now @inge’s magic hand to make it social media more friendly - but first to answer @nadia

• the audience is general and I don’t want to limit it, which is why I wrote it more as a call for stories around problems than a certain type of audience I want to reach. I also want it to be open to surprising drop-ins.

• Why this and why now is updated, I hope it’s good enough

• big problem - as explained in our research. Very simple sentences used here as I really want to make sure this is easy and understandable for everyone

• the solution is uncertain, as are the exact challenges coming out of these stories and encounters - we can only say we know how to bring people together to come up with these. Or you have a different proposal? I also added a sentence about it in the description of the event it will lead to, last paragraph

• benefits: prizes for awards, a community of peers and a possibility to work with other who face similar challenges. Anything else?

Registration: I will add a sentence about joining the platform and saying hi in the event post (to be created once we are good with this version) if you’re coming, but I won’t make it a condition - is that ok?

2 Likes

The questions were from @matteo_uguzzoni 's workshop on storytelling. Curious what he thinks about the text? Any changes/improvements you suggest?

1 Like

I’ll work on it later today!

The text already looks better IMHO.
We can think of a two step registration prcess:

• on fb, through eventbrite or any platform that gives us the emails of people
  • after registration, we send a carefully crafted message asking them to sign up on the platform and leave a comment to a story they choose from the country forum.

I say this because we need to generate conversations around stories + comments are a lower threshold than a full new topic

Hey @natalia_skoczylas I really like the beginning, the problem section I feel that is really clear. The sentence with all the questions instead (“what about minimal wage? etc”) seems to me weak and more opinion than statement, so I will take it out.

I really love @noemi solution for the call to action, “This summer we are going to…” this is really powerful.

In term of audience, I think you know your audience pretty well!
Is European driven people, young adults, superior education and work experiences in different countries…etc.
This doesn’t mean that your message is not open or you will not get unexpected results, this will happens anyway. That’s why your problem is already very specific, is because you know who are the people that have those problems…anyway this is nerdy presentation blabla, the call is pretty powerful!

2 Likes

Some good questions and ideas all. And great job in using them in the updated text @natalia_skoczylas.

But there are a few things we should address before we should push this out (before I rewrite a bit).

Most important: we need to explain to the reader in the very first sentence what the added value is: what is in it for them. Secondary comes, the what are we doing, why, and last is, who are we (also very important in terms of trust).

Now, noone knows POPREBEL. So, unless you have an explainer in the title (or it’;s so famous people know what it is, it doesn’t need an explanation), don’t use the name.

And this seems to be a bit problematic throughout our space actually - I haven’t been able to fully understand 1. What POPREBEL is, and 2. Why I should engage. So, this is something we’d need to be able to put into one sentence.

Now, I know the Edgeryders community a bit, so I can guess, but for someone who has no idea, we’ll lose them immediately.

Since we have the call tomorrow, I’d like to talk about this a little bit more so I can craft a better messaging based on what we discuss.

Can we put this (including other projects’ explainers) on the agenda for tomorrow @nadia? It doesn’t have to take long, just have everyone say what they usually say when they explain it to others is usually already super helpful.

1 Like

Thanks @matteo_uguzzoni <3

The only problem is that this meeting ideally is not for these young, cosmopolitan people but for those who vote for conservative, racist parties and are of any age :slight_smile: Which is why I am trying to ask simple but important question, to kind of open up the public to key, crucial problems.

It’s tricky to make a call for action for people you know you don’t share ideologies with - but we assumed that the problems and challenges will be shared across the political spectrum.

@inge, I like the suggestion we can replace poprebel with sth else, which is why I was asking above if we should go for a completely different, funny or weird, call for action in the title, just to grab some attention. Until the call let’s think about a change - @nadia is the head of the outreach and I follow her instructions here. She has also described POPrebel for this project and devised the whole process: International - Edgeryders - for the Polish community and meetings I always tweak it a little, and find it quite easy to convince people to tell their stories if I have a chance to talk to them and tell them what it is about. You’re the one who will be hopefully able to translate it into social media language :slight_smile: But I am here to brainstorm and let’s get there together.

3 Likes

just a quick note so I wont forget during the call: @anon82932460, if we want to to target different people with different social statuses and different political leanings, then perhaps it’s best to create several different shadow posts with different tones and visuals, no? Let’s think about this a bit more?

1 Like

I was thinking in the morning that possibly we can at least get some moderate populist voters. I am somehow focused on more radical ones, but thats not everything. Good thinking Inge!

Hi! Best approach is indeed to create different social statuses (technically the more the better) as different people have different trigger points.

1 Like

@Jirka_Kocian @natalia_skoczylas @noemi please have a look at this draft text for the events in Czechia for FB and let me know if this works for you:

You’re not the only one that’s fed up with corrupt politicians and the rich getting richer. Meet others in your neighborhood who struggle with the consequences of our broken political and economic systems: rampant unemployment, a broken healthcare system, and no one to help you.

Join us on Monday, July 15 in Brno to hear what others have been struggling with, and share what you have been going through. Let’s see if, together, we can make a change.

Why are we doing this: Wellbeing in Europe is a community effort where people from different countries meet and share ways to get better health, more work opportunities, more moral support and ways of being well in this life

Who we are: a network of 5000 individuals and organisations working to tackle social, economic, environmental and political problems in over 80 countries.

2 Likes

Maybe direct this post to the Czech Pirates/ connect with them @natalia_skoczylas before going so they can reach out to more people? I think and @teirdes knows some of the people…

Wow, you really went direct - people being fed up is a strong assumption and departing point. It’s much clearer, but bends the narrative slightly to the other side. I don’t mind, I’m just wondering if it changes the kind of people who would show up. Otherwise good. Thanks Inge!

I will defer to Natalia for this, I’m afraid i don’t have the brain capacity now…

yeah, I went with the idea in mind that we are trying to target the more pessimistic segment of society (populistic) - lets see if it works

1 Like