Future Makers Global Call #4: Learning from one another's projects

In this week’s call, participants will reflect on what we learn from our peers work in different countries and how it relates to our own projects. As well as on emerging, shared themes, that connect our projects. To join the call: Just add edgeryders on your list of Skype contacts, and we will add you to the call (saturday at 10:00 CEST).

Please prepare by telling us about one project that you would like to discuss before the call. It’s easy but it takes a bit of time: 1) interview the project protagonist (follow this interview framework 2) Share the documentation from that interview in the Future Makers Case Studies Adventures group

Ongoing discussions to explore

Below you will find an audio clip from last week’s call. The summary is as follows:

In Egypt: Hegazy talked with the greek campus asked them to point him in the direction of interesting projects, is now conducting interviews with their protagonists and following up with extensive research. Results? Check out this case study on Nafham, an online peer-to-peer learning platform in Egypt.

In Armenia: Anna had reached out to a photo project done for women in outside of the Yerevan region, which apparently is rare. Here’s what they had to say.

In Georgia: Inge explored the work of urban artists Mariam Natroshvili and Detu Jintcharadze.

In Ukraine: Natalie has posted 3 interviews so far - Your Voice initiative (to spread political will of young), Forum Theatre (performance tool to solve crisis/problems), Your Park  (united project for the war torn town to rebuild the community park and to create it as a free economic zone).

Samar Ali: had 2 interviews with recycling social enterprises, that do workshops on recycling, and urban hacking. Also she is getting to better know the Khalia project [text in Arabic] and the Felucca hotel project [text in Arabic], both of them in Egypt.

There is a need to check urban hacking theme throughout countries, since it’s a new trend

We also discussed the process by which one produces a great case study:

1. Shine a light on someone’s work (interview them): You need to ask yourself a question: why it matters, what’s the reason to choose this for the case study. We are building a network of great people who can work together on new initiatives, so what can others learn from one another e.g unusual approach or methodology?

2. Make sure your record the actual conversation so you don’t miss important points. We prefer raw documentation which includes what people say in their own words, rather than what we think they said/ our interpretation. Where this is not possible, take someone with you to take detailed notes-nit’s very hard to listen and document at the same time otherwise.

We also discussed the criteria for selection of case studies to be featured in the digital handbook we are producing, peer to peer. We agreed it would be preferable that featured projects and organisations should not be dependent on grants but have some kind of other revenue streams.

Date: 2015-06-27 08:00:00 - 2015-06-27 08:00:00, Europe/Brussels Time.

project protagonist

I guess easiest is if I discus @ericnbarrett's interview. You can find it here. He works at jumpstart and is an open data, storytelling, mapper. (?)

I have two other interview audios which I hope to finish transcribing before the call tomorrow. They are with one of the developers of the relief mapping website after the flooding June 13 & with one of the founders of a not for profit rock cafe in Tbilisi.

Coming up still are planned interviews with Teenatin of CityProject (dont have a good link for that…), Wato Tsereteli of the Center for Contemporary Art, Elisa Rekhviashvili of Rhea’s Squirrels - a social cafe, Nick Davitashvili (@Nick_Davitashvili) - member of Guerrilla Gardening Tbilisi and coordinator at volunteer group relief work 13ivnisi,  and Elene Margvelashvili (@Elene_Margvelashvili) of pedestrian rights organization Iare Pekhit. I will have a talk as well with GeoLab, the state univercity’s ‘fablab’ to see if they have any more interesting people for me to engage.

Mariam Natroshvili told me yesteday she would add thing to the interview transcript, I will remind her of it again this weekend. I know she really wants to be involved, but since the flooding it has been tough for everyone to distribute time efficiently and effectively.

1 Like

AND I FORGOT!

And I completely forgot about the still to open Vegan not for profit comunity center/cafe Kiwi, who are still looking for support in setting it up, so they will have interesting things to share :).

1 Like

oh

and I also got an interview planned with @Boris of crowdfunding organization WeHelp.

1 Like

Notes from today’s call

we will start with who we talked to this week, one minute each, who wants to start?

Natalie: this week I have been talking to 3 different organizations, one is a group of kyiv active citizens who are trying to reform and renovate kyiv with different means, it’s quite unique, they monitor social changes that are done by local government. By citizens, volunteers, this is not supported financially. Only have some partnrrships with municipality and other organizations. They give people a change to renovate their environment, better understanding of what the city can be, they have a website that shows urban development in other countries; the group is called dream kyiv.

The other organization I talked to is called magnificant, these people are ttrying to involve active yoth communities to participate in small things around their cities, to do little nice tings for everyone, aa spread of kindness around ukraine, they do projects to help elderly, support street art, brining joy to people, nice design inelevators, or to going and seeing elderly and orphanages, painting yards, lots and lots of social events, whch bring smiles on poeples faces, they are not supported by anyone, its just young people who are trying to benefit others.

Nadia wants to know how do they get people involved, do they use gaming approach? check out serious games like urgent evoke and ask them to compare their approach?

Also http://makecity.berlin/ and designforthelivingworld.com

Problems in Egypt, Belarus, Armenia

people are not willing to share as they do in Ukraine (and Georgia)

Hegazy had an interviewee asking him to take the interview down

Armenia: people/organizations are not willing, because they don’t understand why it is useful for them, they are not open to joining. engagement is difficult “we don’t have time” etc. We dont really need this, we dont really care” it is difficult to engage them. people/organizations are not willing, because they don’t understand why it is useful for them, they are not open to joining. engagement is difficult

Matthias tip from Nepal: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-nepal/writers-workshop-reflecting-on-a-really-long-day

Matthias: “the point about interviews and getting them to be interviewed, they do like to share, but they do need to find the time, but it is a quite workable approach, we have now 8 tot 10 interviews online, as a dialogue starter on the platform, but it is difficult to get people away from facebook, and get them to the edgeryders platform, they are not doing it yet. Facebook is the social network online, and also they dont really like to have everything out in the open, so public. Meetings are only in khatmandu, and they are meeting face to face, so its not in europe where it is less easy to meet face to face. What works however is to take over paradigm, and see it as a media/press space, and how this worked is online.We are now planning for a writing competition, which is what is workable, you get a lot of motivated submissions.Writer’s competition. Prizes.”

LOGS - TRAFFIC

Hegazy wants to know if we have logs to see if there is heavier traffic at the book wiki?

Nadia mentions how in cairo we set up this follow up email and there are two new projects on the platform, submitted by others

https://edgeryders.eu/en/egyptian-abilities

https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-case-studies-adventures/smart-solar-panels

And what to share to mention the book is this: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-case-studies-adventures/draft-new-book-on-networked

Nadia will set up a google analytics dashboard for all 7 countries so we can easily see traffic.

Mini-site

This week we will start setting up our mini-site, similar to: /t/lote4-the-stewardship/359

when you do online engagement, it is good to have content there, cognitively this starts a process with people. It is not about you to get your existing network to engage, but also to reach out to people who are not in our networks about the campaign and see what is going on and contribute interesting case studies themselves. Part what makes it attractive is to see what is already out there.

Nadia: for the book,what we have in mind, we work on these case studies and in parallel we will work on setting up the mini-site It is always hardest in the very beginning, seed content is difficult. We need to organize this, for example 10 tweets every day, we experiment with it: 10 different tweets, or same but in different languages.

CONTRIBUTIONS:1. you can contribute interview, 2. you can contribute case study, 3. you can contribute your comments on existing content

communication plan design but we have a lot from last year we can repurpose. We need flyers and posters, timeline, we need to engage people and organizations to push out. https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/draft-future-makers-campaign-design

https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/task-4801

After june 30 many more case studies can contributed, by others or by engagement managers self. Book we don’t finish till august/september

https://edgeryders.eu/en/edgeryders-lbg/nurture-your-networks

especially designing rewards, creating campaign video, communitcation

campaign video is very important, less than 1 minute

Schedule:

• Monday = rewards https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/draft-campaign-rewards, if you do X you get Y = rewards, 1. you can contribute interview, 2. you can contribute case study, 3. you can contribute your comments on existing content, what are the rewards: how much do they 'cost'
  • Tuesday = campaign video, https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/draft-campaign-video, important is WHY question.
  • Wednesday = communication plan
  • Thursday = timeline and activity plan
  • Friday = network with people and organizations

How? writing back and forth, summarize it

next week’s call we can close loose ends there are

KEEP IN MIND

concept: how to engage people in your country: learn while going

have a hypothesis: what we think about communication, low effort versions, to test each one, we test it for a week with social media, see what reaction is, see what works and we will know, it may be different depending on country

https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/task-4801

Education: how to write articles (training for things you never learn in school, e.g. structuring your thoughts and putting in text). Outcomes we publish what they produce during the workshop, collaborative writing of their contribution

1. do presentation 2) write by yourself 3) open-write together with others including brainstorming and others help with expertise

citizen journalism or grassroots media project ask them to do a bit of teaching

Inge will create as task: what should case study look like, like what style guide do we use.

We need both layers for the book: the case study like hegazy and the poetic transcripts inge typed

2 Likes

and

during the call we mentioned that apparently in Ukraine it is relatively easy to talk to people/organizations compared to Belarus, Egypt and Armenia. But while we were talking then, and afterwards, I realized that we shouldnt underestimate @nataliegryvnyak's amazing skills. Because she literally knows EVERYONE in Ukraine and I have never met anyone who she can’t get along with, she has some very special skills.

So, of course I understand that, for example in Belarus, people are suspicious, or in Egypt people are afraid, or in Armenia people are arrogant (as in Georgia!), but bearing that in mind, absolute respect for Natalie for getting in touch with so many amazing initiatives.

1 Like

Thank you for this Inge

Very helpful having the notes like this. Im setting up the tasks based on this tomorrow morning so everyone knows what we are supposed to be doing.

1 Like

Notes Community Call 18-07

Hey guys!

So we just had a community call, and  I wanted to quickly share the actions points we discussed. @Iriedawta, @Hegazy, @nataliegryvnyak and I were present.

community newsletter (resp = inge)

casestudy tweets (resp = everyone)

case studies this week finish (resp = everyone)

which case studies to accept (resp = anna - task)

And we all should take a look again at @Hegazy's post: https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/where-is-future-makers-global

Did I forget anything?

1 Like